It is a cross-platform, open-source, single-threaded runtime environment giving software engineers unique tools for web application development.
And thanks to the ever-increasing fame of Node.js, a large community of developers has emerged, constantly developing and suggesting new backend Node frameworks.
You see, despite its growing popularity, Node.js still has some drawbacks. Indeed, Node.js can slow down your application when handling a lot of computational work, and the unstable API can force a lot of code changes.
You can deal with these problems by choosing specific frameworks that are better equipped to handle such problems. In this article, we will present a list of 6 Node.js popular frameworks and discuss how they can cover the specific disadvantages of the Node.js environment.
Express.js, also called "Express," is a minimalist, fast Node.js backend framework. The software is open-source and is released under the MIT license.
To help you better understand the framework, here is a list of features you will find on Express.js.
- The framework has a Model-View-Controller (MVC) to break up large applications into sections that each serve a different purpose.
- Its function is similar to a routing table or a collection of routing libraries.
- It also allows packet injection of heavy loads. This feature is useful, especially for managing the expansion of the framework's capacity.
- Express.js provides over 14 engine templates, HTTP methods, and synchronization for better performance.
- It has a debugging function that is designed to help show developers where the problems are.
For companies and startups that want to develop web applications, Express.js is a suitable Node.js web application framework that offers many advantages in terms of implementation, cost, and user experience.
- Express.js API integration makes developing web applications easy and fast.
- Developers can better organize client-server requests with a more reliable application user interface (UI).
- Express.js is easy to use and learn. Developers with basic knowledge of the Node web framework environment will be able to handle this framework efficiently.
- The framework is open source, which allows companies and startups to reduce development costs.
- The community of Express.js users is very large. Developers can easily find help on how to use the framework and be more efficient in application development.
- The framework supports middleware. This allows developers to install useful tools to improve speed, response, and performance.
Even if Express.js is popular, the framework also has drawbacks, which can affect your web application's development.
- Security is not good enough. Express.js does not dictate how security is implemented and will depend on how the application was coded. To put it simply, it is up to the developer to manage the degree of security they need depending on the application being developed.
- Error messages are generally not very useful. Express.js doesn't always indicate when or where a bug appears. So, developers often have to find a debugging solution by themselves.
Companies that Use Express.js
Here is a list of companies that use the Express.js environment for their websites:
- Fox Sports
When to Choose Express.js
Thanks to these features, Express.js could be considered the best Node.js framework for enterprise-grade or browser-based apps.
The framework is very useful for building scalable backend applications that can be used to build backend services like web sockets, web APIs, and others. If your company needs website development services, EPAM Anywhere Business oversees an international talent pool and helps you in finding professional Node.js web framework developers.
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR PROFESSIONAL NODE.JS DEVELOPERS FOR YOUR WEB APPLICATION?
EPAM Anywhere Business has a global talent pool ready for your project.
According to BuiltWith, about 75,000 websites are Meteor.js customers, and 30,000 active websites still use Meteor.js.
Here is a list of Meteor.js’ features and functions to help you understand the framework better.
- The cross-platform feature provides rapid prototyping of the build with CLI.
- Through the Cordova PhoneGap alliance, Meteor.js enables the development and deployment of iOS and Android applications.
- Meteor.js comes with a number of built-in features, such as reactive templates, automatic CSS and JS minification, and hot code reload.
- Developers can create a single cross-platform source code that is compatible with Android, iOS, the web, and desktop computers.
- The framework is open-source, which means businesses can save money on application development.
- There is a huge community of Meteor.js users. This makes it easy for developers to find tutorials and help.
- Meteor.js can be integrated with the relational database MongoDB, which aids in data synchronization.
- Meteor.js's LiveReload feature lets you see your code logic without having to rebuild the project or refresh the browser page.
- Meteor.js has a platform for developing reactive UIs.
- You can make live updates to the website because the application uses a single language consistently throughout.
Here is the list of disadvantages of using Meteor.js.
- No reactive joins. If developers want to select data from different collections and join it on some particular property, they have to invoke the external packages trickery (and even then it's not as robust and functional as a standard SQL join).
- The way of deployment to your own server is not so obvious. The process of developing applications for your custom hosting is difficult and requires some scripting work.
- No native server-side rendering. Meteor.js does not implement server-side rendering by default. So, if you do not take care of it on your own or, more likely if you use plugins, your application stands a good chance of being completely useless to SEO crawlers.
Companies that Use Meteor.js
Here is a list of companies that use the Express.js environment for their websites.
- Digital Services
When to Choose Meteor.js
Indeed, the framework can provide the same code that works for web applications. Finally, it is important to mention that it is easy to get live updates for installed applications without having to interrupt the user's current session.
Koa.js is another open-source Node.js backend framework. The creators of Koa.js are the same ones who created Express.js. Koa is also very popular, as the framework has about 1 million downloads per week and around 90 companies use it for their website.
Koa.js stands out above the crowd by the use of asynchronous functions, which eliminate callbacks and improve bug handling. To facilitate the creation of a web application, Koa.js uses various tools and methods that promote interoperability, robustness, and ease of coding.
- Koa.js has been built using ES6 directives, which provides a large number of new classes and modules. This simplifies the creation of any sophisticated program.
- The framework integrates tools to limit the use of callbacks and allows better management of errors.
- Koa.js middleware is packaged as a bundle in its core. This makes server-side programming faster and easier.
- Synchronized programming is simplified due to easier management of upstream and downstream controls.
Here is the list of advantages of using this Node.js web development framework.
- Web application development is faster, as Koa.js is a lightweight and flexible framework. This futuristic technology allows developers to build web applications quickly and easily.
- Smart error management. Koa.js features make it easy to find errors during the development phase. So developers can create web applications with minimal problems or crashes occurring.
- Plugin options. Developers have the ability to extend the framework with plugins and add a wide variety of modules.
Here is the list of disadvantages of using Koa.js.
- The community using Koa.js is relatively small. So it can sometimes be difficult for developers to track down help or instructional information for the improvement of a web application.
Companies that Use Koa.js
Here is a list of companies that use the Koa.js framework in their tech stacks.
- Shimo Website
When to Choose Koa.js
Although Koa.js and Express.js were developed by the same team, the two frameworks have different functions.
Express.js provides functionality to "augment Node," while the goal of Koa.js is to "fix and replace Node."
Koa stands out for its ability to simplify error handling and free applications from callback hell.
Thus, Koa.js is the ideal framework to use if you want to get rid of callbacks, while Express.js is suitable when you want to implement Node.js and conventional Node.js style coding.
Sails.js is a Model-View-Controller (MVC) framework of Node.js adhering to the principle of "convention rather than configuration." This backend Node.js framework, inspired by Ruby on Rails, is used for backend development to quickly create REST APIs, real-time applications, or single-page applications.
Sails.js makes extensive use of code generators, which allow you to create your application with minimal code writing, especially for common elements that can be scaffolded. Here is a list of other Sails.js features.
- Sails.js uses Express.js to process HTTP requests.
- Relational object mapping provides all the data desired by Sail.js users.
- Blueprints allow a high capacity for code generation.
- The ORM/ODM feature allows Sail.js to be database-independent.
- Sail.js provides real-time WebSockets support.
Here is the list of advantages of using Sails.js.
- Sails.js is linked to the Express.js framework, which allows the developer to create RESTful APIs in a very short time.
- The use of code generators in Sails.js also allows the beginner developer to save time by writing less code and thus be more efficient in the development.
Here is the list of disadvantages of using Sails.js.
- The development of the project is slow, and Sails.js is not regularly updated (the last major change was in March 2021), so the framework still has bugs.
- Sails.js requires a huge amount of memory compared to other frameworks, which makes it slow to use and may waste your time on your web development project.
- Asset management in Sails.js is disorganized and lacks transparency. It takes more time for the developer to allocate the right resources to the right place.
Companies that Use Sails.js
Here is a list of companies that use the Sails.js framework for their websites.
- Lithium Technologies
When to Choose Sails.js
Sails.js is a good framework for creating custom chat applications due to its accurate and streamlined data and reusable middleware features.
If you have a team of developers that are comfortable with Sails.js you can easily create gaming and social media applications given Sails.js' compatibility with Socket.io. The framework is also used for custom, enterprise-grade Node.js applications.
STILL UNDECIDED ON WHICH NODE.JS FRAMEWORK TO CHOOSE FOR ENTERPRISE APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT?
EPAM Anywhere Business will guide you and build a team of Node.js professionals for your enterprise application.
The Node.js web framework called Nest.JS is designed to be combined with TypeScript. This feature allows the developer to create scalable and efficient server-side applications.
Nest.js is built using a simple and unambiguous design (controllers, modules, and providers), which makes decomposing applications into microservices much easier. In addition, the main features of Nest.js are:
- Nest.js uses a powerful command line interface (CLI), which improves productivity and facilitates development.
- Contains an integrated DI (Dependency Injection) container that makes applications modular and more efficient.
- Lazy Loading modules allow you to load things when needed.
- Supports dozens of Nest.js specific modules that help you easily integrate common technologies and concepts such as TypeORM, Mongoose, GraphQL, etc.
Here is the list of advantages of using Nest.js.
- Angular developers will be able to easily use Nest.js because of familiarity.
- Nest.js' structural development approach allows large teams of developers to build complex backends more consistently.
- Nest.js is also similar to Spring and .NET. This allows developers who already know these technologies and associated best practices to save time on web application development.
- Nest.js is also platform agnostic. Thus the framework easily supports REST, GraphQL, Websockets, gRPC, etc.
- The documentation for using Nest.js is detailed, which allows the developer to get a better grip on the different features.
Here is the list of disadvantages of using Nest.js.
- In Nest.js, everything has a highly defined structure, which generates a lot of files and sometimes makes it difficult for developers to navigate.
- Lack of functionality compared to frameworks in other languages, such as Spring in Java or .NET in C#.
- Lack of clarity and confusion about how it works. Some things like adding a route or a controller are easier to do with Express than with Nest, and when a developer encounters these obstacles, they need someone more experienced to help them.
Companies that Use Nest.js
Here is a list of companies that use the Nest.js framework for their website.
- MAK IT
- Software Engineering
When to Choose Nest.js
The Nest.js framework is ideal for fast and efficient application development with simple structures.
Indeed, Nest.js is an excellent choice if your company is looking to create scalable and easy-to-maintain applications. Moreover, the Nest.js support system is very active, and the community of users of this framework is large. This will allow your team to find the help they need to meet any current development challenges.
Hapi.js is an open-source Node.js framework for backend suitable for developing high-performance and scalable web applications.
In terms of usage, Hapi.js has about 400,000 downloads per week, with over 76 organizations stating that they use Hapi.
The framework is widely regarded as a superior alternative to Express.js due to its server-side and client-side intermediation capabilities.
Hapi.js has a lot of unique features that help developers make applications that are safe, powerful, and scalable. A portion of these highlights include:
- End-to-end code hygiene enables developers to write code that is distributable, controllable, and manageable.
- A comprehensive collection of official plugins designed to take the place of middleware in frameworks like Express.
- Secure defaults that are frequently updated. Hapi blocks error messages that could transmit exploits or leak information.
- The most extensive Node.js authorization API is the Integrated Authorization and Authentication Architecture.
- Cookies that are signed and encrypted, secret or key rotation, and HTTP security headers are all designed to make applications more secure.
Here is the list of advantages of using Hapi.js.
- When you use the framework, security is not an issue. Hapi.js is a leading Node.js framework that does not require any external code. Some of the security features and processes include regular updates, end-to-end code hygiene, a high-end authentication process, and in-house security architecture.
- There is a wide range of official plugins. Without exerting too much effort, you can find a trusted and secure module you might require for basic functionalities. Thus, you don't have to risk your project's safety by relying on third-party middleware because of its extensive plugin collection.
- Hapi.js is one of the frameworks for Node.js that performs better than many others regarding quantifiable quality metrics. Hapi stands out when considering parameters like code clarity, coverage and style, and open issues.
- The framework enables friction-free development. As a developer-first platform, it has advanced features that can help you speed up some processes and get more done.
- It makes the development process easier and lets you use what works immediately. You won't have to waste time trying different things because the code does exactly what it was designed to do.
Here is the list of disadvantages of using Hapi.js.
- Code configuration is sometimes difficult. Indeed, developers have to determine the structure of the code without the support of the community.
- Hapi.js has compatibility issues with Express/Connect regarding specific modules and plugins such as Catbox, Joi, Boom, etc.
- Lack of automation forces developers to create endpoints or do manual testing.
Companies that Use Hapi
Here is a list of companies that use the Hapi.js framework for their websites.
When to Choose Hapi
Hapi is sufficient for the creation of scalable, secure, real-time social media applications. As a result, developers use it to build proxies and API services.
Additionally, Hapi.js is our recommendation if you want to use Express in your web app.
How EPAM Anywhere Business Assists in Hiring Node.js Developers for Your Project
EPAM Anywhere Business is the partner that will allow you to hire Node.js developers in record time. Thanks to our international talent pool and expertise, you will easily find candidates to develop your web applications.
First, with EPAM Anywhere Business, your project starts as soon as possible. Upon your request, we can assemble a team of mid-level to senior developers in two to four weeks, thanks to our network.
If you need more experienced developers, the time frame can be extended. EPAM Anywhere Business stands out from hiring agencies with a team setup that is 2 to 3 times faster. So choose EPAM Anywhere Business and find experts in less than three months.
WOULD YOU LIKE TO HIRE NODE.JS EXPERTS IN LESS THAN 3 MONTHS?
We find suitable candidates while respecting your budget.
In addition, we provide a 360-degree follow-up. Regular audits of project status and development progress are carried out by EPAM Anywhere Business. There is no unnecessary communication, and you always have full clarity on the progress of tasks.
Then, we ensure that the product is in compliance with the requirements of regulators and investors. The product architecture code, data processing, storage model, and security tools will all be properly set in place and compliant with globally accepted industry standards: HIPAA, PCI DSS, and GDPR.
Finally, if you wish, we can provide a full code review as an additional step to ensure the ultimate quality of your product.
You can deal with any inherent problem of using Node.js by choosing your framework wisely.
- Express.js is the best Node.js framework for enterprise and browser-based applications.
- Meteor.js is ideal for developing mobile applications.
- Koa.js will be the best choice if you want to get rid of callbacks.
- With its accurate and streamlined data and reusable middleware features, Sails.js is a good framework for creating custom chat applications.
- The Nest.js framework is ideal for the fast and efficient development of applications with simple structures.
- Scalability, security, and real-time social media applications are all possible with Hapi.js.
Are you a company looking for alternative Node.js frameworks, or have you already chosen two and need to decide which one will suit you best? Contact our professionals, and after a technical audit, they can help you make the right decision.
At EPAM Anywhere Business, we provide you with Node.js experts who will assist you with all your development needs. Don't wait to contact us — we’re available anytime.