There is no one-size-fits-all answer to the question of whether you should hire a DevOps consultant or a DevOps engineer, as the best way to staff a DevOps project depends on the project's specific needs. However, some general guidelines can help you decide whether hiring a DevOps consultant or a DevOps engineer is right for your project.
If you need someone to help you with the strategic planning and implementation of a DevOps initiative, then a DevOps consultant is likely the best option. A DevOps consultant can help you assess your current infrastructure and processes, identify areas where improvement is needed, and develop and implement a plan to improve those areas.
If you already have a good understanding of your infrastructure and processes and just need someone to help you implement DevOps practices, then a DevOps engineer is likely the best option. A DevOps engineer can help you automate tasks, set up continuous integration and delivery pipelines, and troubleshoot issues that arise.
Why DevOps is essential
There are a host of different DevOps services that can make businesses more competitive.
Businesses can release new features and updates faster and more efficiently by automating tasks and improving processes. This allows businesses to respond quickly to customer demands and changes in the market.
DevOps also reduces the risk of errors when releasing new features or updates. By automating tasks and testing code before it is deployed, businesses can avoid costly mistakes that can cause downtime or data loss.
Finally, DevOps benefits include improved communication and collaboration between development and operations teams. By working together more closely, these teams can better understand each other’s needs and priorities, and make sure that everyone is on the same page.
Get DevOps benefits for your business
Hire our vetted DevOps consultants to help you drive value and efficiency.
How do DevOps consultants help?
So, what’s the best way to get started with DevOps? Should you hire a DevOps consultant or an engineer? There are pros and cons to both options. Hiring a DevOps consultant can be a good one if you need someone to help you assess your current infrastructure and identify areas where you can improve.
However, DevOps is not a single monolithic thing; rather, it is quite complex, and you need to hire specific DevOps resources based on your infrastructure. For example, if you use AWS in your operations, an AWS DevOps consultant can help you optimize your use of AWS services. Similarly, if your focus leans towards Microsoft Azure, you'd want to look for an Azure DevOps consulting team.
A consultant can also help you develop a roadmap for implementing DevOps within your organization. DevOps consultants can help address several key pain points, such as:
- Lack of collaboration between development and operations teams
- Lack of communication between different departments
- Lack of visibility into the software development process
- Fragmented tooling and processes
When considering different types of projects, look to DevOps consultants for these types of deliverables:
- An assessment of your current infrastructure
- A roadmap for implementing DevOps
- Guidance on tooling and process improvements
- Help with developing or improving automation
When DevOps engineers should come in
You may need a DevOps engineer for more complex projects and the actual implementation. These individuals are often employees of the company and the people directly responsible for the day-to-day implementation of DevOps within an organization. They work closely with development and operations teams to automate processes and improve collaboration.
DevOps engineers can help address key pain points, such as:
- Inefficient manual processes
- Lack of automation
- Poorly configured monitoring and logging tools
- Slow or broken continuous integration and delivery processes
With the help of a DevOps engineer, you can expect the following outcomes:
- Improved communication and collaboration between development and operations teams
- Reduced cycle time from idea to production
- Increased quality and predictability of releases
- Improved customer satisfaction
Hiring a DevOps engineer can be a good option if you need someone to help you implement the DevOps roadmap. A DevOps engineer can help you set up the necessary tools and processes and train your team on how to use them. A DevOps engineer can help you automate tasks, monitor and log tools, and improve your continuous integration and delivery processes. Similar to the earlier comment on DevOps consulting, it is essential to understand the DevOps engineer skills needed for your project to ensure a successful outcome.
Buying DevOps consulting services? Read this
If you’re considering the services of a DevOps consulting firm, there are a few things you should keep in mind:
- DevOps is not a one-size-fits-all solution. Every organization is different, and your DevOps implementation will be unique to your company.
- DevOps is not a silver bullet. It won’t magically fix all of your problems.
- DevOps is not a static process; it’s an evolving set of practices that you must constantly adapt and improve.
- Some common DevOps practices include automated testing, continuous integration, continuous delivery, and infrastructure as code.
How to check if DevOps consulting is what you really need
Your organization might need DevOps consulting services if any of the following scenarios apply:
- You’re starting from scratch with no DevOps infrastructure or process in place.
- You have a partially implemented DevOps solution that needs help getting to the next level.
- Your company is undergoing a digital transformation, and you want to ensure your DevOps implementation aligns with your business goals.
- You’re not sure if your current DevOps solution is effective or efficient.
What are the benefits of working with a DevOps consultant?
When considering DevOps outsourcing with a DevOps consultant, you should expect several benefits:
- Expertise and experience: A good DevOps consultant will deeply understand the latest DevOps trends and technologies. They will also have extensive experience working with different organizations, helping them implement DevOps successfully. This means that they will be able to quickly identify any bottlenecks in your current process and suggest ways to overcome them.
- Objectivity: It can be difficult for organizations to be objective about their own processes. A DevOps consultant can provide an unbiased view of your organization’s strengths and weaknesses and offer recommendations for improvement.
- Improved efficiency: A DevOps consultant can help you streamline your process and automate currently manual tasks. This can free up time for your team so they can focus on more strategic tasks.
- Cost savings: Working with a DevOps consultant can save you money in the long run by helping you avoid costly errors and delays.
What to look for in a provider of DevOps consulting services
There are several factors to consider when deciding whether to hire a DevOps consultant or engineer. Here are some questions to ask yourself:
- What is your budget for this project?
- How complex is the project?
- Do you have the internal resources to complete the project?
- How much time do you have to complete the project?
- What is your level of expertise with DevOps tools and practices?
If you have a limited budget or a complex project, it may be best to hire a DevOps consultant. A consultant can provide an objective view of your organization and suggest ways to improve efficiency and save money. If you have the internal resources to complete the project, but you are not an expert in DevOps, it may be best to hire a DevOps engineer. An engineer can help you implement DevOps tools and practices within your organization. If you have a short timeline, it may be best to hire a combination of a consultant and an engineer.
Get your DevOps consultation with EPAM Anywhere Business
While DevOps can be beneficial to any organization, it is not a silver bullet. There is no one-size-fits-all solution, and the best approach for your organization will depend on your specific needs and circumstances. If you are unsure what is best for your project, consulting with a DevOps expert may be helpful. However, DevOps is still a fairly new field, and finding skilled professionals can be difficult.
This is where partnering with a DevOps consulting company like EPAM Anywhere Business can be helpful. Our team of experienced DevOps professionals can help you assess your needs and develop a customized solution for your organization. We can also provide the resources and expertise you need to implement and manage your DevOps solution. Contact us today to learn more.