senior big data engineer with scala for a leading retail company
We are currently looking for a remote Senior Big Data Software Engineer with 3+ years of software development experience and proficient scripting skills in Bash, Python, Ruby to join our team.
The customer is an American multinational retail corporation that operates a chain of hypermarkets, discount department stores, and grocery stores.
The main pool of tasks is associated with the development of a world-class data platform that powers streaming data generated by a fast-moving landscape.
- Collaborate with Product Owners and Team Leads to identify, design, and implement new features to support the growing real time data needs of the customer
- Assist and mentor Junior Engineers in troubleshooting and tuning of high volume, distributed applications, primarily on Spark
- Identify and suggest or implement remediation of cases where we diverge from industry best practices
- Evangelize and practice an extremely high standard of code quality, system reliability, and performance to ensure SLAs are met for uptime, data freshness, data correctness, and quality
- Display sense of ownership over assigned work, requiring minimal direction and driving to completion in a sometimes fuzzy and uncharted environment
- Focus on enabling developers and analysts through self-service and automated tooling, rather than manual requests and acting as a gatekeeper
- Participate in on-call rotation, including continuously seeking to reduce noise, improve monitoring coverage, and improve quality-of-life for on-call engineers
- 3+ years of software development experience
- Experience with Big Data
- Experience in running, using and troubleshooting industry standard data technologies such as Spark, HDFS, Cassandra, Kafka
- Deep development experience, ideally in Scala but we are open to other experience if you’re willing to learn the languages we use
- Proficient scripting skills i.e. Bash, Python, Ruby
- Experience processing large amounts of structured and unstructured data in streaming and batch
- Experience with cloud infrastructure (Azure)
- A focus on automation and providing leverage-based solutions to enable sustainable and scalable growth in an ever-changing ecosystem
- Experience building and maintaining a centralized platform or services, to be consumed by other teams, is ideal, but not necessary
- A passion for Operational Excellence and SRE/DevOps mindset, including an eye for monitoring, alerting, self-healing, and automation
- Experience in an Agile environment, able to manage scope and iterate quickly to consistently deliver value to the customer
- Deep understanding of technology internals in order to tune and troubleshoot individual jobs
- High-level understanding of the landscape to drive value adding features to the platform
- Proficient English (written and spoken) B2
looking for something else?
Find a vacancy that works for you. Send us your CV to receive a personalized offer.